All MIEACT volunteers are required to complete training to ensure that when they present their personal stories, they are not going to trigger a vulnerable person in their audience, nor themselves.
- Application Form (download one here).
- Induction and Information Evening: For potential volunteers who have been initially screened on the phone as suitable volunteers and offered a place in training. Allow two hours.
- Informal interview: Be prepared to discuss private and sensitive details about your experiences with mental illness, either as a carer or someone living with mental illness.
- Reference checks
- Apply for Working With Vulnerable People Card: from ACCESS Canberra.
- Do NO Harm Training: Hear an existing volunteer tell their story, appropriate language use, importance of this framework. Allow 3.5 hours.
- Story Trial: Includes ice breakers and some information about MIEACT processes. Everyone does a five minute trial of their story.
- Assessment for Suitability
- Story Telling: Speaking to an audience, story development, and introduction to our bookings and event nomination process.
- Are required to complete all of the story telling modules set out above as a prerequisite.
- School Education Program (SEP) Delivery: Program content, presentation skills, who to expect in the classroom, writing your own script for your presentation. Two shifts of 3.5 hours.
- Stress Better Program Delivery: Program content, presentation skills, who to expect in the classroom, writing your own script for your presentation. Two shifts of 3 hours.
- Advanced Communication Training: Differences between debriefing and feedback, language use in providing feedback, when to provide feedback and how.
- Mentor Training: Your role as a mentor, duty statement, expectations of mentors, mentor/mentee relationships. 2 hours.
We encourage our new volunteer recruits to come for a coffee and catch up as often as they need to in order to feel safe and supported before and after making presentations.
To register for Volunteer Educator, click here.